Meet Derek, our beloved camper. We bought Derek in 2018 as a panel van and converted him ourselves, travelling around Europe and living in him for 6 months that summer. Since then we have done many UK trips, everything from a couple of weeks in Scotland to a night in the New Forest.
Derek has never broken down and has never failed us. He is easy to drive, we’ve taken him on motorways and mountain roads. He has a few cosmetic bumps and scrapes which add to his camouflage.
– 3 seats, right hand drive, manual, diesel, 6 gears
– MOT and tax until Feb ’21 – can get this extended if required
– Spare wheel
– Spare key
– Steering wheel lock
– DVLA registered as campervan
– 70mph speed limiter
Derek’s interior is more than spacious enough two people, and has enough height so that a 6ft person can stand with space to spare. Well designed with:
– Pull out sofa that becomes a double bed. Extremely comfortable memory foam mattress
– A separator slides up between the kitchen and the cab at night, completely disguising camper from the outside and providing additional insulation. It feels extremely warm, safe and cosy
– Extremely thoroughly insulated – this van maintains its temperature very well, even on cold nights. Equally, it never gets overly hot in the summer
– Clad interior treated with danish oil
– Durable wood laminate floor, easy to clean
– Electric fan in the roof, reversible so can be air in or air out
– Fold-down table, made from reclaimed wooden floorboards
– Fold-down exterior table
– Handmade cupboard doors with custom handles. These have been left wood but could easily be painted by the next owner
– Lighting – spotlights in the ceiling and above the sink. Warm light LED strips under cabinets for a cosy feel in the evenings
– Lots of storage for clothes (including hanging rail), cooking utensils, food and drinks. Space under the bed for camping chairs and bigger items. Was ample storage for a 6-month trip
– Bookshelf with extra storage
– Bulkhead storage (we keep the bedding there)
– Small 300w 12v electric heater (heats the van in minutes)
Derek is a completely gas-free camper! All power is generated by a 300w solar panel and stored by 6 leisure batteries providing 660 AH. The hob is an induction hob, removing all risk of carbon monoxide issues. The batteries can also be charged from the alternator while driving if an additional power boost is needed. We’ve spent weeks in this van in Scotland, Wales and even Norway and Sweden and have always been impressed by how much power the solar panel generates. Also has the option to plug in and run directly off mains power if needed.
Kitchen and Water
An electric pump, pumps water from the 100ltr water tank to the kitchen tap. Derek has a full-size kitchen sink which drains into a waste tank which can be emptied through a valve or removed completely for thorough cleaning.
– Fridge (pulls out from under the sink) can be powered either by 240v or 12v. Adjustable temperature
– Hammered copper splashback
– Wooden worktop with ample workspace
– Derek has a compact chemical toilet that slides away snugly into a cupboard
– An outdoor shower, providing air temperature water
Please note: Quirky Campers do not inspect the listings for accuracy or check campervans in person. We have asked sellers to provide evidence of certificates and paperwork however you MUST check yourself that the information provided is present and correct. You will need to exercise the normal due diligence when buying any vehicle.
Ford Transit, LWB high top
Sofa, that pulls out into a double bed.